Have you unpacked your handbag lately? It is time to dig in, sort through it piece-by-piece, and to simplify what you carry around.
I often feel like Mary Poppins when unpacking my bag. It never ceases to amaze me how much we ladies schlep around. There are the usuals, of course, such as a wallet and sunglasses, but then there are so many other things we think we need to have at our disposal at all times. The bottom line is…we carry too much, and finding ways to reduce the weight of what we carry is important not only for our ability to stay organized and be efficient, but also for our health (see what the American Chiropractic Association says here about the damage that the size, type, and weight of our handbags have on us).
So, how do you do it? First, empty everything out. Throw out garbage, expired coupons, old make-up products…etc. Sort through the contents and ask yourself:
1. Have I used this item in the last month?
2. Do I REALLY need it in my purse?
3. Can I leave this item in my office or in my car?
4. Are there items I tend to lose or cannot find easily on a regular basis?
5. What needs to change?
Here is one of my favorite purses.
It is not very large.
I forced myself to fit the contents into a small tray.
The small black case in the top left corner contains a bunch of small miscellaneous items that I tend to use regularly.
1. Trish McEvoy #9 parfum/2. Pen/3. Small sewing kit/4. Small measuring tape (mine is actually a paper one from IKEA, rolled up)/5. Tylenol for the occasional headache/6. My favorite Clinique lip gloss (Clearly Pink)/6. Mini L’Occitane hand cream (Shea Butter)
What do you have inside your purse? Do you use a purse organizer? What are your purse trouble spots?
Previously on Order Matters’ Organizing Boot Camp: